Thursday, October 1, 2015

Nothing like the 50's: Nihilism and the Golden Years

I was a fan of the show Mad Men when it was on TV. I watched a couple seasons, but got warn out of watching Don Draper have affairs and I lost my attention for the tediousness of the drama. Maybe that reflects more on me than the quality of the show. But I was given a refreshing, though depressing, dose of what made this show piercing by seeing the play Bus Stop the other night.

The play is a chronicle in a bar in Nowhere, Kansas where a strange cast have a series of complex relations, all while waiting for a winter storm to pass by. The question raised is what love is. It reminded me a lot of the mood of Arthur Miller's Death of a Salesman, which dealt with purpose and identity.  None of the characters walk away satisfied, except in superficial ways. The closest thing to "love" is the marriage of a belligerent cowboy to a fearful, and searching show-girl. Their relationship could take up the rest of my post if I wanted. It's so full of biting irony and tongue-in-cheek insults that its substance is about as real as Hollywood.

Anyway, without getting into the details of the play, it, like Mad Men, reveals the utterly bankrupt way of life America the Beautiful is left with. The thing about this play is that it has no transcendental reference, it is a flat immanence. It is a world filled with luxury, peace, quiet. The only real goal it seems is to find someone to want and to be wanted by someone. I guess it's just me, I've never been able to allow this to drive my life, to stave off the empty gnawing that there is still something more.

The 50's is the era where this nihilism really set in. It's a world that is fully Christian, but it is a heretical and immanentized Christianity. What that means is that God is really nothing more than the sum-total of social movements. He is just a part of the motions one goes through. It is the eclipse of the bourgeoisie frame of mind, where nothing has any deep meaning. We isolate and yet are utterly lonely. In the play, the frankness of sex and promiscuity is not to scandalize. It's not even titillating. It's boring. It's, as one character put it, finding a man every once and awhile so she isn't so grouchy.

This isn't so far from the mores of the 50's. Though it's all kept in a traditional framework. The hypocrisy of the Golden Years caused the revolution of the 60's. The children of this generation were tired of the double dealing. They wanted to break out and find answers. Of course the Hippy movement collapsed under its own weight and gave birth to the Nihilism of the 80's, a synthesis between the status quo and the libertine attitudes. It was the era where faux praise to humility, chastity, fidelity etc. was trashed.

The Nihilism of all these works of art were best done when they were done in sincerity. The abolition of the transcendent, the functional 'Death-of-God' theology that the modern world had accepted, was not necessarily looked at as bad. And I say Death of God not in reference to Altizer who formalized such a movement. I mean the liberal merchants in Nietzsche's parable, the ones who murdered God and yet were not even aware of what they had done. A collective amnesia set in after they stashed the body.

It is a disturbing Nihilism because it is not the Nihilism of a mass-killer or an adventurous, sad soul. It's not someone who spray paints on bathroom stalls. It's a happy Nihilism. It is a calculated Nihilism. It's a completely flat world and a certain acceptance of it. The mood is very eery to me, and gives me shivers. It's the man who grows up, goes to school, gets married, has children, sends them to school, presides over his family, retires, and dies. It's the man who accepts the abyss as the foundation of his life. He is unreflective. He is exceptionally civilized and polite, and yet is more animal than human.

The 50's are praised in Conservative circles as the time when America was great. God have mercy on us.


4 comments:

  1. Hey Cal. Sooo, I'm sure you know the leadme.org site is no longer accessible. Is it possible to get the text from a few of the posts?

    I would really like to keep these two in my "interesting stuff" repository

    - The Idolatry of Nationalism: Death, the American Flag and the cult of our Forefathers | Lead Me
    - On Nature, Covenant & Words | Lead Me

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never mind. Found them on the wayback machine

      Delete
  2. Hey Cal, got a question and struggle I want to share. Is it best to continue to follow the motions for national anthems?

    I've lived in the USA all my life but my blindness to nationalist idolatry wasn't revealed to me until recently (I'm 22). So, I didn't get the chance to stay seated against the flag's Pledge of Allegiance. So I didn't get the chance to show my allegiance to God's higher kingdom instead of America. But, how about the National Anthem? Would it be a good idea to stay seated during the National Anthem in the same way a flag's Pledge of Allegiance prompts? At first appearance the National Anthem doesn't seem as bad as the Pledge of Allegiance because you aren't, you know, pledging allegiance to anything. But, if I continue to stand then I'm just secretly rebelling and I won't show people the change God's kingdom has made in me, I'll feel like a coward if I only rebel against our christianized national idolatry secretly. Additionally, since this is the USA citizens oath [http://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship/naturalization-test/naturalization-oath-allegiance-united-states-america], I wouldn't even consider myself a USA citizen, only by birth. But, citizenship based on birth only has no heart in it and so I don't consider my self a USA citizen. Would it be worth the dirty looks from strangers and obligatory explanations to my family? Not necessarily asking for advice about my personal situation, but I would enjoy your thoughts on national anthems and how Christians should behave at their playing, in general

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First, I'm glad you found those writings. I saved a bunch of stuff so if you need anything else, feel free to email me or ask me in a comment!

      Now in regards to what you say: I use to be a deep-patriot and would listen to talk-radio. I use to be deeply moved everytime I listened to the national anthem on the country channel at 12 everyday. For me, and I would say for many Americans (particularly those outside of the Northwest & Northeast of the country), celebration of the nation is nationalistic, patriotic (which I consider a vice), and almost always verges towards idolatry, even when done ignorantly. For me personally, I don't stand and I am generally filled with a kind of disgust.

      But I tend away from confrontations, mostly because those I'm with won't understand or won't seek to understand. When it's happened, at ballgames and the like, I tend to walk off or head to the bathroom. I'm not so worried with dirty-looks from strangers, but having to deal with acquaintances.

      I understand feeling like a coward. At a college basketball game, I had no "support-system" and out of a desire to fit in (yikes), I stood up, though I put my hands in my pockets and faced away from the singer. I'm not proud of it, but it's one thing to decry abstracts (like nationalism as idolatry) and one thing to practice it.

      I still root for the US in the world-cup, but it's the same as me being a fan for the Redskins, Djokovic, or Everton. It's my team, it's a part of who I am, but it's a far cry from how I act, think, and hope as a Human being (to which I entrust myself to Christ).

      I think it's ok to celebrate one's heritage (though, as Christians, not without self-reflection and criticism), but it's another when it has become a cult. St. Augustine is great in this regard when it comes to disordered desires. The deep sin is not necessarily what we desire, but how. For most Americans, appreciating heritage means nation-worship and patriotism, and these vile sins lead to hell's crowning marks of arrogance and concupiscence.

      Thus, Americans most of all should be wary (though France, China, and Russia are closer contenders). If you were from Switzerland or Kenya or Thailand, I wouldn't worry these things as much.

      Hope this helps a little,
      cal

      Delete